In recent months I have begun using magnesium based supplements to help improve my recovery. I use a recovery spray and a magnesium bath salts. Since I have been using the magnesium spray and bath salts I have noticed several benefits and it is now a supplement that I make sure I always have available post workout. It was only when I stopped using the supplements for a week while I was away on a trip that I really noticed some serious delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). This led me to read into what the benefits of magnesium really are and write this post.
Magnesium is an essential component in a number of bodily processes such as energy generation, muscle contraction and optimal hormone production. It is also used in hundreds of biochemical reactions within the body such as increasing protein synthesis, calcium absorption and insulin sensitivity. There are a number of benefits to using magnesium which I have listed them below.
Benefits of Magnesium
1. Better Sleep – When magnesium levels are low the hormone which controls sleep (melatonin) is affected therefore to help your melatonin levels you should have optimal magnesium levels.
2. Increased Production of energy – Magnesium helps with the production of ATP which is the cell’s energy store.
3. Better exercise performance – Magnesium can increase the duration possible in exercise (exercise endurance), raises glucose levels and reduce lactate levels.
4. Improved Flexibility – As seen in the point above, magnesium can reduce lactic acid build up. Lactic acid causes a drop in PH resulting in muscle pain and tightness.
5. Increased DHEA levels – DHEA is a hormone that leads to the production of male and female sex hormones (androgens and estrogens). Increased levels can help treat depression, obesity and osteoporosis (condition that weakens bones).
6. Increased Bone Strength – Magnesium increases calcium absorption and is one of the essential nutrients that contribute to bone health.
7. Improved Anabolic Hormone Profile – Magnesium can increase testosterone levels which is used in anabolic function that can enhance muscle function and physical performance.
8. Improved Hydration – Magnesium improves hydration as it is a necessary electrolyte which increases uptake if water in the body.
9. Relaxes Nervous System – Magnesium helps produce serotonin which relaxes the nervous system and lift your mood.
There are a lot more benefits of using Magnesium Supplements such as a Magnesium Spray and Magnesium Bath Salts. If you would like to find out more about magnesium products you should head over to Transdermal Technology who have a number of products that aim to improve magnesium levels to optimise recovery from exercise. They are also carrying out further research into these products which you can read about it on their site.
I have noticed a drastic increase in my recovery since I have been using Magnesium based supplements and would highly recommend them.
I live on a beef farm and we even put magnesium in the water for the cows for the calcium absorption especially in the older cows preventing them from developing conditions and it keeps them happy!